Wednesday 8 May 2013

Fresh eggs for lunch

Last Sunday was market day, it is held on the first Sunday of every month.   I just love this market, all the fresh produce, cakes, breads, vegetables, plants and  the small producers with their own olive oils, olives, jams, chillis etc.   The smell of producers cooking at some of the stalls wafts through the market making me hungry, the first stop is always the coffee van, a skinny chai late is needed to get me through the morning, there is so much to take in here and I always come away with something.    My friends live close by, so as I have done a few times in the past I bought some cake and called into their house for morning tea.  They have a couple of free range chickens that just roam around where they like during the day doing what chickens do, and are then they locked up before nightfall.    Before leaving they asked if I would like to take some eggs, of course the answer was yes, who would turn down that offer.    Today while thinking about what to have for lunch I was also reading a blog that I follow, One Hundred Dollars a Month  I thought a version of this salad with a boiled egg would be just right.   Only one problem,  when searching through the pantry I found did'nt have Cranberries or Almonds, what to do, use what I do have which is sultanas and walnuts.  I also used a yoghurt dressing instead of mayonnaise, it was delicious, free range eggs from a friend are definately better than the shop bought free range eggs. Thankyou Anne for the eggs and thankyou Mavis for my lunch idea.

1 egg, boiled
small amount of fresh spinach
some rocket
sliced celery
1/4 of a tomato
1 spring onion
a few sultanas
a few walnuts
1 slice of Danish feta, crumbled
broccoli flowerets ( blanch or lightly steam if you like)

Dressing:
1 tablespoon greek yoghurt
little of crushed garlic
white wine vinegar to taste

Add everything but the egg and the dressing to a bowl, season with a little salt and pepper and mix together, Lay on a plate,  slice the egg in half or chop, whichever way you like add to the top of the salad mix.  In a small bowl add the youghurt and the garlic, to crush the garlic I mash it with a little salt against the chopping board with the back of the blade of the knife, it gets rid of that raw garlic taste, add the vinegar tasting as you do till it is the way you like it. I also added some finely chopped parsley. Serve for one.  Enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment