Thursday 14 March 2013

Mushroom soup

This afternoon while stitching some embroidery,  the son who does everything paid a visit.   He was given a box of very large mushrooms,  I think they are called portabello mushrooms, anyway,  he wanted to know if I would like some, of course, I said.   We had a coffee and a chat and then he was gone to collect my grandson from school.   What to do with these beautiful mushrooms, I was going to bake one for my dinner but then I thought a mushroom soup would be yummy.    I have to tell you it was amazing, and I have some in the freezer for later.

Mushroom soup:
25gm butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large brown onion chopped,  (I only had a small brown onion so used a small red onion as well)
1 clove garlic crushed
1 small sprig fresh thyme  (so nice to go out to the garden and pick some fresh)
4 large mushrooms, core removed and chopped..... ( or the mushrooms you have on hand)
1/4 cup cream.........  ( I had Greek yoghurt, which tasted amazing, but I only added 1 tablespoon)
1 cup of water
1 vegetable stock cube..........    (or you can use 1 cup of vegetable or chicken stock)

Melt butter, and add olive oil to a pan. Add onion, garlic and thyme, cook stirring until onion is soft.  Add the mushrooms and cook for 5minutes.  Add the water and stock and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.  Set aside to cool, then blend in a food processor or with a stick blender in batches. Add the cream or yoghurt and heat through without boiling.  Ladle into bowls and add a little more yoghurt and a small sprig of thyme for decoration and enjoy.

 If you want to freeze some for later set this aside before adding the cream or yoghurt.
I made some pita bread this morning and I had one with the soup Very yummy..

No comments:

Post a Comment