Tuesday 11 June 2013

Falafels for dinner

Years ago when my daughters were teenagers I decided to make falafels, we enjoyed the falafels from the takeaway so they asked me to make them.   I was not sure how to make these so I purchased a packet mix, something I would just have to add a couple of ingredients to and cook.    This was an enormous failure, they were dry and the smell was awful,  the smell seemed to permiate through the whole house, needless to say these were binned and my daughters said never again, in fact it turned them off  eating falafels altogether.   This became one of the family jokes, the time mum tried to make falafels, you know the one where everyone laughs at you.       While I was out shopping I occasionally bought them for lunch, and so,  I decided to try again, this time from scratch.    With the chickpeas soaking overnight I sourced a recipe, good,  I had everything I needed,  I have to say that they are amazing.   These are moist, this is one word my daughter will not be impressed I have used, but they are and full of flavour,  the biggest difference I noticed, no smell through the house.    I made a couple of pita breads, some garlic yoghurt and a side salad and it was so good.

Falafels:
1 brown onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. cumin
2 x 400 gm cans chickpeas or dried chickpeas soaked overnight
1 cup flat leaf parsley
1/3 cup flour or enough just to bind them together
1 tbls olive oil
pinch salt and pepper
Place onion, garlic, coriander, cumin, chickpeas, parsley, flour, salt and pepper in a food processor and blend until almost smooth.  Using floured hands shape into patties.  Place on a plate, cover and refridgerate for 30 minutes.
Heat oil in pan over medium heat and cook until golden brown.
Serve with yoghurt, pita, tabouli or side salad.  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment