Friday 18 January 2013

Pasties for the freezer

Today we have a respite from the very hot days we have been experiencing over the past few weeks.   There are  fires burning in three states, homes have been lost and someone has lost his life while trying to escape a fire.    I always have a bad feeling when we have hot north winds, it usually means there will be a fire somewhere in this country during summer.   My thoughts go out to the many people who have lost everything in these fires,  It would be devastating to know your home and everything you cherished were gone in a matter of minutes.     
I  decided to take advantage of the cool change and turn my oven on to do some cooking.  I have a lot of vegetables, thanks mainly due to my garden, I also had some pastry in the freezer, so I chopped the vegetables along with some leftover haricot beans and made pasties. They smelt so good as I took from the oven that I had to have one for lunch, the rest will go in the freezer.   My above fridge freezer does'nt give me room to store much besides necessities,  I've have been thinking about buying a small freezer, which would fit in my laundry and give me space to cook and freeze more.
Vegetable Pasties:
This recipe will make six large or more if you want smaller pasties
1 onion finely diced
1 potato either grated or finely chopped
1/2 carrot finely diced
1/2 cup peas
1/4 cup turnip or sweet potato finely diced
salt and pepper
chopped parsley, as little or as much as you like
4 sheets of pastry, I have used frozen flaky pastry because that is what I had in the freezer, or make your own pastry, either shortcrust or flaky
I added 1/4 cup left over haricot beans to the mix

Combine all the vegetables with the parsley, salt and pepper in a large bowl.  Lay out the sheets of pastry and using either a saucer or bowl cut circle shapes in the pastry.  Place an equal amount of filling onto the pastry. Brush around the edges with water, join edges together and pinch to seal.  Place onto a tray and piece each one with a fork, glaze with egg wash or milk.  Bake in oven 200c for 10 mins then turn the oven down to 180c for 30-35 mins. They will be golden brown and delicious, enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment