Tuesday 24 December 2013

Glazed Christmas ham

Every year I glaze a ham, but this year we have a large butt, and I wasn't sure if I would glaze this one, whether it would look as good as a full leg.   Then while looking through magazines for things to make and bake for this Christmas,  I kept seeing glazed hams, ok I was won over, but which glaze will I do.    Then I came across a  fig glaze and decided this would be the one.    I think it looks really good and after a sample I think it tastes great as well, I have one very good looking ham for tomorrow's lunch.    I am now getting excited, my grandsons have just made the rocky road chocolate Christmas trees, these have become a bit of a Christmas tradition that I involve the Grandkids in.     The chocolate bowls have been licked as well as spoons and fingers, the leftover marshmallows, raspberry lollies and the pecans have been eaten.   I think we are ready for the big day.        I wish you all a Merry Christmas, have a happy and safe holiday.

Fig Glaze:

1/2 cup of water or apple juice
1 cup light brown sugar
5 tlbs fig conserve (jam)
good pinch of both mixed spice and cinnamon
2 tlbs sherry or brandy

Add all ingredients to a small pot, stir until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 10-15 mins. it should be syrupy.    In the mean time lift the skin from the ham and slash a diamond pattern over the fat, being carefull not to cut into the meat.  Stud with whole cloves and brush with some of the glaze.  Place into a hot oven for 15minutes, remove and brush with more glaze, repeat this a couple more times until it is burnished.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy,
    This ham looks delicious! I've always liked figs but I never thought about using them in a glaze. Good idea. Thank you for commenting on my blog http://sewnwildoaks.blogspot.com You are a "no-reply" blogger so I can't answer your comment directly. Isn't it funny how kids' opinions change over time toward Santa. Our littlest grandson loved Santa this year.....in the past....not so much. Have a wonderful Christmas. ~~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I can tell you the ham was so delicious, so good there is not much left. I spent today with my son and his family and we had a wonderful day, I am so tired I'm looking forward to a quieter day tomorrow (Boxing day) Have a wonderful Christmas, Best wishes Wendy

      Delete