Wednesday 27 February 2013

Home made Passata

What a relief, the heat has finally abated and we have had three days of rain, so happy to see the rain, this summer has been long and hot.   I picked the last of the ripe tomatoes yesterday and realised I had enough to make some jars of passata sauce.   While blanching and skinning the tomatoes, I was once again taken back to my mothers kitchen, I seem to do a lot of thinking about her and my childhood while working in the kitchen.    This was one of the jobs I was volunteered to do when mum was bottling the tomatoes, I did'nt mind though, I quite enjoyed pulling the tomatoes from the icy water and skinning them.     From the pot of sauce  I cooked I filled 5 large jars and one smaller jar, this jar I gave to the son that does everything and his wife who came for morning tea today.  I've cut herbs today and have frozen sage, basil, and parsley, with what I have left  I think I will try to dry them.   Almost time to clear the vegetable patch for the winter planting, this has been a productive garden and I'm happy with what this small area has produced.


Passata Sauce

15 fully ripened tomatoes med-large
1 large red onion chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves of garlic chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
1 desertspoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
salt to taste

Place a cross slit at the base of the tomatoes,  add to a large pot of boiling water, as soon as the skin ruptures remove and add to a sink full of  iced water.   Peel the skins and place in a blender with garlic, basil and black pepper.  I had to do this in batches.  In a small pan pour in the olive oil and gently cook the onion till opaque.  Remove and add to the blender with the tomatoes.  When all batches have been blended add the tomatoes to a large pan and bring to the boil.  Add the tomato paste and simmer for 30-40 mins. till the sauce has reduced a little.  Pour into sterilised jars and seal.  Meanwhile line another large pan with a couple of tea towels, add the jars, not touching, fill to below the lids of the jars with cold water and bring to the boil.  Cover and leave about 20mins to simmer. Turn off the heat and let cool in the pan.  Once cool remove and label, the jars should be sealed.  This will make 5 large jars or bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment