Monday 23 September 2013

A road trip to visit family

White (Albino) kangaroos
My youngest daughter asked me to accompany her on a road trip interstate to visit her grandparents.    She had taken a couple of days leave from work so it would be a four day weekend.    Since my husbands death we have been making this trip about once a year, more often for family occasions.    This drive takes us through farming country, which at this time of the year is green from the wheat, barley and pea crops and then the vivid yellow of acres of canola fields. It is an amazing site and because we have had good spring rain the country is very green,  something we haven't seen for a long time.   The drive is usually about four and a half hours depending on the amount of stops along the way.     My daughter decided she would drive, it was so nice to just sit in the passenger seat and look out from the window at the scenery as we drove by.     There is one place we nearly always stop at, the Giant Koala, we have so many photos of this, it has been a tourist attraction for a number of years, in the early years a few of the photos included my oldest daughter screaming in fright.   Those days a long gone, now it is just a drink stop and another photo before we drive on.    It was good to spend time with my in-laws and catch up with my husbands brother and his wife,  in fact it was lovely to see my gorgeous girl relating to her family now as an adult, why do our kids grow so fast.    We did a little shopping while we were there, this is a small town so not much to look at but, we both managed to spend some money. 
Giant Koala at Dadwells bridge
I bought a photo frame I saw in the gift shop, something that will be just perfect in my craft room, on my desk along with my mouse pad not sure what photo I will place in it yet.   We also went to the wild life park, this town has a population of albino kangaroos, at the moment their numbers are down and we saw only three females, a joey and a white buck in a seperate enclosure.  As I went to snap the photo they lay down in the grass, so I don't have a great photo of them.    The son who does everything rang me on Saturday night to inform me that my old terrier dog was not well, I think the time has come to say goodbye to her, she is just over sixteen years old and I have had her since she was a tiny puppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment