Thursday 21 February 2013

Chutneys and pickles

The jars I bought last week have all been filled, this afternoon I have cooked a green tomato chutney and a nectarine chutney.   Yesterday I made a piccalilli, which has lots of vegetable from my garden it it, it looks so yummy.    I have'nt made nectarine chutney before but my dad gave me a container filled with frozen nectarines, he has a large tree in his yard and when he has had enough he slices them and then stores them in containers in the freezer.    I have packed the jars with the hot chutneys, and now I'm just waiting for them to cool before placing the lids and labels on the jars.   I have had a sneak taste and I really like it, so much so I will include the recipe.
NECTARINE CHUTNEY:
11 medium nectarines (2kg) nectarines chopped
1 medium (150g) green pepper, chopped
2 1/2cups white vinegar
4 cups (lkg) brown sugar ( I used 3 cups, trying to cut down on the sugar)
1 cup dates, chopped
1/4 cup glace ginger   (I did'nt have glace ginger, so used 1 tablespoon ground ginger)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon grated orange rind

Combine all ingredients in large saucepan, stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved.  Bring to a boil, simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 2 hours, or until mixture is thick.  Pour into hot sterilised jars; seal when cold. Makes 6 cups.  After opening store in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment