Sunday 24 June 2012

Craft Saturday

This past weekend has been a very good weekend. On Friday I babysat, Deacon overnight so his mum could have a night out, being a single mum you don't get much time to have some fun, not with a two year old anyway.   Saturday was our first girls craft day, something that will become a monthly event.  I have been looking forward to this because I've been involved with crafts all my life but have not been able to interest my two daughters in anything crafty up till now.   There would be four of us, my daughter-in-law, her sister, my eldest daughter and me, my youngest daughter was keen but her partner was celebrating his birthday so would'nt join us this time.   My eldest daughter has surprised me with how keen she has been, I think this has a lot to do with Pinterest, she has seen that craft isn't just knitting, crocheting and quilting, that there are so many other options that you can do.  She has only recently used my sewing machine but on Saturday she mastered the machine to make quite a few little owl shaped handwarmers that she filled with rice.  These can be heated in the microwave for a few seconds and can be carried in your pocket to keep your hands warm on cold days.  Teej, then went on to make a bag from the pattern I saw on Pinterest, to say I'm proud is quite an understatement, maybe I won't worry about all my supplies being thrown out when I'm gone after all.  My daughter-in-law sewed a pencil folder, the fabrics fun and bright, suitable for a child. She is a teacher and always on the look out for things to interest kids.  Her sister has been crocheting and has done some amazing things.  I was appliqueing leaves onto a quilt, we had a fun day doing our own thing and chatting but, next time we have decided to do something similar using picture frames. Looking forward to the next craft day.

No comments:

Post a Comment