Tuesday 29 October 2013

Gluten Free Orange cake

The house is very quiet, so quiet that I have turned on the radio for back ground noise.  My eldest son and his family left this afternoon for their trip home.  This week has passed by so quickly, so much has happened and has been celebrated.   The son who does everything received the keys to his new house and has been able to show the family where he will be living, the new carpet has been put down and they are now ready to move the furniture in.   Last Friday would have been my late husbands birthday, my eldest son suggested we all go out for lunch and celebrate this, and have a nice day together.  We chose the old blue stone homestead "Eynnesbury" which has been converted into a restaurant, the old farmland that surrounds the house now has a golf course and a housing estate.  It is a lovely place, we enjoyed a relaxed lunch and the children had a run around on the lawn under the trees while we had coffee.   My eldest son Darren had invited family over to celebrate Noahs 2nd birthday on Sunday, all the food was organised except the gluten free food for my sister and neice.

My friend Jenni gave me a recipe for an Orange and Almond gluten free cake which she often bakes for her family.  Not sure how this would taste I was nervous serving it, but as you will see by the photo I need not have had any worries, so I can recommend this if you need a moist and also delicious cake for a celebration cake.








Orange, Almond Gluten Free Cake:

2 large Navel Oranges
6 eggs
250gm Almond meal
250gm castor sugar
1tsp baking powder
Cook the whole oranges in water, making sure they are covered for 11/2 - 2 hours until they are soft.  Cool, and then place in food processor and blitz until soft and pulpy.
Preheat Oven to 170 celcius
Butter a 22cm pan, line base and sides with baking paper and dust with almond meal.   Whisk almond meal, baking powder, and castor sugar until well combined.   Beat eggs on high for 6 minutes until light and fluffy.  Scrape the orange puree and almond mix into the eggs, fold together.  Bake for 1 hour, brush with apricot glaze or dust with icing sugar.  I dusted with the icing sugar and then decorated with strawberries.  Thankyou Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment