Friday 22 March 2013

Old family recipes

While my eldest son is having radiation and chemotherapy he is unable to work, or do any of the numerous other activities he is involved with.   A few years ago he started to research our family tree, and to hunt down the long ago souls that were our family.  Now that he has some time on his hands he has become more active in  researching where we came from, this he is finding this very interesting as well as puzzling in some instances 
This is one of the reasons I thought I would share one of my old family recipes, these recipes have been handed down through the woman in my mothers family, one of the original recipes is dated 1865.  My mother wrote these out for me just over twenty years ago, copied from her recipe folder, which my dad is now very protective of.   These recipes are extra special to me because, as well as reminding me other generations of women in my family have done the same thing I'm doing now, it is also reminder of my mother.    I'm looking at her handwriting every time I take these and other recipes from my folder, this always takes me back to my mums kitchen. 
Tomato Relish
2.7kg ripe tomatoes
900gm brown onions
900gm sugar, (I've cut this back to 400-450gm) 
3 Tablespoons dry mustard
1 Tablespoon curry powder
190ml Malt vinegar
Cornflour to thicken, about 2-3 tablespoons ( you can replace this with plain flour)
1/4 cup of salt (not table salt)

Slice or chop tomatoes and onions. Place in seperate bowls and sprinkle with salt, leave overnight.   In the morning drain the liquid from the tomatoes and onions and place in a large saucepan or stock pot with the vinegar and sugar stirring until the sugar is dissolved.  Bring this to a boil.  Mix together cornflour, mustard and curry powder with a little vinegar to form a paste. Add to the tomatoes, stirring till it is well mixed.  Simmer mixture for about 11/2 hours till the mixture is the consistency you want. Pour into sterlised jars and seal.  Refridgerate after opening.  A lovely old fashioned relish that is easy to make.  And as my great grandfather said,  "perfect in sandwiches AMEN".

No comments:

Post a Comment