Sunday 10 March 2013

A birthday dinner

Last Friday was my birthday, it wasn't a milestone birthday so I wanted something low key, I thought a family dinner would be good.  I decided that I would do the cooking and have everyone here, I  love to cook, but I hadn't counted it still being so hot.  Usually by this time every year we are having milder Autumn days, no not this year, it is still into the 30c's with high humidy, so draining.  Anyway getting back to the dinner, I thought about the menu a few days before and decided to go with a leg of lamb, a lasagne and several salads.  With the airconditioner and a fan running I turned on the oven to roast the lamb and some vegetables, boy did it heat the house, it was then that I thought a bbque would have been a much better idea.  I have been experimenting with new salads, one of the families favourites has been roasted pumpkin, spinach and fetta, this time I chose a beetroot salad, an orange salad, and the usual tomato, lettuce and cucumber.  I also made a plate of chargrilled vegetables and olives, with some roasted potatoes.  Everyone enjoyed the meal, along with a couple bottles of wine and birthday cake we all had a lovely night.

No comments:

Post a Comment